brown lentil and vege patties - a recipe by me :)
- 1 & 1/2 cups dry brown(green) lentils (or equivalent amount of canned lentils)
- 6 table spoons seasame seeds
- 5 table spoons sunflower seeds
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 chillie
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 a sweet potato
- a fist sized bit of broccoli
- a fist sized bit of cauliflower
- rolled oats (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon corn flour (corn flour made from real corn, not wheat eg. whitewings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- boil lentils in 4 cups of water until they are soft. drain.
- toast the seasame seeds and sunflower seeds by putting them in the wok/frypan (WITH NO OIL) and stirring them continuously until they JUST start to turn goldern. tip onto a plate and set aside.
- chop or grate all the onion, garlic, chillie and veggies so they are in tiny pieces.
- heat a bit of oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic, chillie and dried spices. fry for one minute.
- add chopped/grated veggies. stir well.
- add the drained lentils and 1/3 cup of water (new water, not lentil water).
- allow to cook with lid on, on low heat (so it doesn't burn) until the veggies are soft. stir every now an then.
- turn off heat. add oats. (add them gradually stirring before adding more so you see what the consistency is like). i used about 2 cups.
- add the seeds that you toasted earlier.
- add creame of tartar, baking soda, corn flour and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. (these ingredients are the "binder"). stir well.
- shape the mixture into patties with your hands (press/squeeze them firmly into shape with your hands) and then place them in a fry pan with a bit of olive oil or canola oil. flip over so they brown on both sides.
- serve with salad.
serving suggestion: dip the patties into a little mixture of vinegar and seasame oil. delicious!